Sunday, August 31, 2014

First days living in Quito / Pierwsze dni życia w Quito

It's been about five days since I arrived in Quito, and I've more or less acclimatized to things here. I haven't gotten altitude sickness, which is good, but I have noticed that I get out of breath more easily than usual. Sometimes even when I'm not exercising and I've just missed a breath, like I stopped breathing for a while. The walking is pretty tough, though. I thought the walking would be no problem, seeing as I was used to walking in Europe, but having to walk up the mountain and then back down again, and then do it again when I come back, is more grueling than I'd expected. Of course, that probably is linked to the altitude, too.

The weather is a little hard to get used to. When you're out walking, you easily work up a sweat, but when you're sitting, you get cold quick. Unless I'm standing in the sun, I need a sweater, and I've even considered buying gloves. Of course, we're not talking about extreme temperatures, but they're noticeable.

The living situation is overall good. My roommate Sandra is cool, and friendly, and seems to be really talented (she play the guitar and sings really well, but I think she's talented at a lot of things). We also have warm water, which is something of a luxury here, although apparently only one tenant among the three can use it at once because the same propane tank heats the water for everybody. But so far that's been ok. And there's good internet, also not a given, anywhere in fact. It did go out somewhat unfortuitously the day I got here, but other than that it's been ok - better than Natalia's internet :(.


(PL)

Pięć dni już minęły od przyjazdu do Quito. Mniej więcej przyzwyczaiłem
się do życia tu. Jeszcze nie mam choroby wysokościowej, co jest dobre,
ale tak zauważyłem, że brak mi oddechu częściej niż normalnie. Czasem
nawet kiedy nie ćwiczę to tracę oddech i czuję się jakbym przez chwilę
nie oddychał. Chodzenie jest raczej trudne. Ja myślałem, że nie będzie
żadnym problemem jako, że jestem przyzwyczajony do chodzenia w
Europie, ale musieć chodzić w górę i znowu w dół, i później odwrotnie,
kiedy wracam do domu jest bardziej wyczerpujące niż się spodziewałem.
To prawdopodobnie ma coś wspólnego z wysokością.

Trudno jest też przyzwyczaić się do pogody. Gdy spacerujesz na dworze,
zaczynasz pocić się łatwo, z drugiej strony kiedy siedzisz, szybko ci
jest zimno. Jeśli nie stoisz w słońcu, potrzebujesz swetra, i nawet
zastanawiam się nad kupnem rękawiczek. Naturalnie, nie chodzi o
ekstremalne temperatury, ale zauważasz zmianę.

Sytuacja mieszkania jest ogólnie dobra. Moja współlokatorka Sandra
jest spokojna, i sympatyczna. Wydaje mi się, że jest bardzo
utalentowana (gra na gitarze i śpiewa bardzo dobrze, ale sądzę, że ma
nawet więcej talentów).

 
Mamy ciepłą wodę, co jest luksusem tutaj, chociaż widocznie tylko
jeden współlokator z trzech może jej używać na raz, ponieważ ten sam
zbiornik propanu podgrzewa wodę dla wszystkich. Ale jeszcze nie miałem
problemów. Dodatkowo jest dobre połączenie Internetu, co nigdzie nie
możesz sobie brać za pewnik. Faktycznie przestał chodzić niefortunnie
w dniu, kiedy dotarłem, ale oprócz tego działa dobrze – lepiej niż
Internet Natalii :(.

No comments:

Post a Comment