Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Back in Arizona

I arrived in Arizona on Sunday evening on the August 10 with both recurring headaches and chest pains, and exhausted. It had been three years since I had been back to Arizona. It never seemed that long, and sitting here now, it almost feels as if I never left - almost. On the one hand, despite minor changes here and there, Phoenix is really familiar; on the other, it feels somehow foreign - or I feel somehow foreign. Probably both, actually. It's really odd feeling foreign and native to a place, a little like you're two people in one. Of course, besides the small changes here, I know that I'm the one who's done most of the changing.

So far, despite some tensions, it's not as difficult as I was expecting it to be (yet) to spend time with my family. I attribute that to the ease of talking in person as opposed to over Skype, though I do have the sneaking suspicion that this is just the honeymoon phase. I suppose I'll be able to say in a week or so.

The heat is sweltering, of course, but you expect that coming to a desert. But I don't think it's any worse for me than the people living here. At least, it seems like I can stand the heat better than my family members - perhaps training from living in an apartment without air conditioning, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment