Friday, December 12, 2014

Flights to Malaysia / Przylot do Malezji




I am currently vacationing in Sarawak, Borneo, but I don’t want to write about that just yet. In this post, I’ll just be writing about my extremely long trip from Ecuador to Malaysia. 

As I mentioned earlier, I was trying to prepare myself for the time change and trip by going to bed and getting up earlier each day – unfortunately, it didn’t help. I just slept even less than normal. All in all the trip went well, but it got off to a rocky start – Natalia called me at about half past three in the morning (an hour earlier than I was going to get up) to tell me that my flight was departing an hour earlier than planned. So, I had to call the cabby and ask him to pick me up earlier, which he did. As it happens, he knew that the plane leaves at that time and thought it was strange that I wanted to leave as late as I did. In any case, he arrived early and I made my flight to Miami without a problem. Despite the stress, it was good that my flight was earlier because in Miami I needed more time to get to my next flight (there was a huge line to get through customs). From Miami I flew to Los Angeles, where I had planned to send a package and postcards to my family in the USA. Fortunately, there was a shuttle bus going to the car rental service Hertz, conveniently located across the street from the post office, which I made it to with plenty of time to spare. I returned to the airport the same way :). At the airport, I had to wait nearly an hour to check in to my flights because apparently almost everyone had some problem with their luggage. I flew with China Southern Airlines, which was interesting because everything was in Chinese, a language that I don’t understand at all. The flight was terribly long – over 14 hours – during which I fortunately could sleep a little (and watch movies). The service wasn’t too great; they hardly gave us anything to drink (I constantly had to ask) and they didn’t have a vegetarian meal, despite the fact that I ordered one at the travel agency. In China, I had a three-hour layover in Guangzhou till my flight to Kuala Lumpur. I arrived at the latter without any problems, as did my luggage, and Natalia was waiting for me in the arrival hall. Mirjam, Natalia’s friend and coordinator at the German Malaysian Institute (GMI), where Natalia was doing her internship, drove us to Natalia’s apartment in Kajang, where GMI is located. I was really fatigued after the trip, but I didn’t want to go to sleep because it was only a little after noon. Not only that, I arrived just in time for St. Nicolas Day, and in the afternoon I went to celebrate with Natalia, Mirjam and the other interns at GMI. That was very nice, and I even got a little gift!
 



Teraz jestem na Borneo, ale jeszcze nie chcę o tym pisać. Chciałbym w tym poście opisać moją podróż z Ekwadoru do Malezji. 

Aby przygotować się na zmianę czasu, chodziłem spać wcześniej i wstawałem wcześnie rano, ale to i tak dużo nie pomogło. Po prostu spałem mniej niż normalnie. W sumie podróż upłynęła dobrze, choć zaczęła się stresująco – Natalia zadzwoniła o trzeciej w nocy (miałem wstać o 4.30) i powiedziała, że mój samolot wylatuje godzinę wcześniej niż myślałem. Musiałem więc zadzwonić do taksówkarza i poprosić go, żeby przejechał po mnie wcześniej. Okazało się, że on wiedział, że samolot odlatuje w tym czasie, dlatego był zdziwiony, że chcę jechać na lotnisko tak późno. W każdym razie przyjechał pół godziny wcześniej i bez problemu zdążyłem na samolot do Miami. Pomimo stresu było to dobre, że mój lot był wcześniej, bo w Miami potrzebowałem więcej czasu na przejście przez kontrolę graniczną itd. Z Miami poleciałem do Los Angeles, gdzie miałem zamiar pójść na pocztę, aby wysłać paczki i pocztówki do rodziny w USA. Na szczęście był darmowy autobus do wypożyczalni samochodów, która znajdowała się naprzeciwko poczty. Także pojechałem tym autobusem i byłem szybko na miejscu. Wróciłem w ten sam sposób :). Na lotnisku czekałam ponad godzinę, żeby zdać bagaż. Wszyscy przede mną mieli jakieś problemy z bagażem. Leciałem liniami China Southern Airlines i co było ciekawe, bo wszystko było po chińsku,  w języku, którego w ogóle nie rozumiem. Lot był strasznie długi – ponad 14 godzin – podczas którego na szczęście udało mi się trochę pospać. Serwis nie był dobry, ponieważ nie podawali dużo do picia (musiałem wciąż prosić) i nie mieli wegeteriańskiego posiłku, mimo, że taki był zamówiony przez biuro podróży. W Chinach miałem przesiadkę w Guangzhou, trzy godziny czekałem na lot do Kuala Lumpur. Dotarłem bez problemu, mój bagaż też, Natalia czekała na mnie przy wyjściu z terminala. Mirjam, koordynatorka praktykantów w GMI i przyjaciółka Natalii, zawiozła nas do mieszkania Natalii w Kajang. Byłem bardzo zmęczony po podróży, ale nie chciałem iść spać, bo była dopiero dwunasta po południu. Oprócz tego przyleciałem w Mikołajki i po południu miałem okazję świętować z Natalią i niemieckimi praktykantami to święto. Było bardzo sympatycznie, dostałem nawet prezent.

No comments:

Post a Comment